pnmixer error message: Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_root_coords: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Oct 19 14:12:55 UTC 2014

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:44:03 +0800 Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> To summarize.  The problem you're having is with pnmixer.  You have 4 systems configured, software wise, the same and only one system has this problem.  The problem presents itself coming out of hibernate as well as on initial boot.  However, when you then login or restart pnmixer from the command line it loads and works fine the whole time you remain logged in, don't hibernate, and don't reboot.

Thanks! Actually, it is one better, but for the syslogd message, I have resumed from hibernate for five times since last morning. Not sure when my luck will run out:-)

> This, to me, suggests potential race condition with the some module and hardware initiation.  In an attempt to narrow down the issue I suggested the following in another message....
>
> I notice you've 2 Audio devices.
>
> 00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
> and
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
>
> Is it possible to disable them separately in the BIOS to see if that makes any difference?

OK, I will try this, thanks! Sorry, may I ask: what is the difference between these two?

> Also, recall I don't use openbox, would it be possible to delay the starting of pnmixer by using a user specific autostart instead of the system-wide file you're currently using?

Yes, that is what I have set it up now as, for when I next crash.

> I would also try creating a new user and testing to make sure it isn't specific to one user.

Yes, I think you (or someone else) suggested this earlier but I am not waiting for not resuming for hibernate.

> Certainly this is an annoyance....but not a fatal problem as the workaround is to manually start pnmixer.  Should none of the above get you any closer to a cause I would certainly file a bugzilla against pnmixer and see what happens.

OK, thanks! Hopefully, the workaround will be fine.

> You may also want to consider using a different mixer such as the xfce4-mixer.

Yes, that is a possibility. I will try this too.

Btw, there are more crash messages of something in my dmesg now:

$ dmesg | fpaste
Uploading (182.4KiB)...
http://ur1.ca/iff0k -> http://paste.fedoraproject.org/143313/41372784

Not sure if this means much: of course, in the past, I have not looked at dmesg so frequently (or pretty much at all) so I am not sure that such messages are a common occurrence in general.

Thanks again!
Ranjan

> --
> If you can't laugh at yourself, others will gladly oblige.
>
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.