Disable automatic download of updates

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 19:06:34 UTC 2014

On 10/18/2014 11:42 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/19/14 13:16, jd1008 wrote:
>> If the OP did go through the steps you enumerate, why would s/he be so surprised
>> by the automatic updates ? :) :)   Very strange!!
> The OP didn't do what you have suggested.
>
> The OP is using GNOME and that is the behavior of GNOME, even in F20.
>
> What I've told them to do is what is needed for GNOME.
>
> There is nothing strange other than the assumptions that you've made.

Well, when I installed f20, I was NOT getting automatic updates.
I had to manually enable it.
So, I made no assumptions.

>> Also, having used yum erase, I have had catastrophic consequences,
>> because yum will remove dependencies also, which other packages
>> which you might not want removed.
>>
>> For example, just try to
>>
>> yum erase bash
>>
>> and see what happens :) :)
> It prompts if you really want to do it.  You know that.  Unless you're the type that puts -y in their yum commands there won't be any problems.

That's not the point Ed.
Take the case of the recent storm about the bash bug.
How do you remove it from the system so no one can take
advantage of that weakness? Using yum erase will blow away
everything. Using rpm -e --nodeps will blow away only bash.
It is the unexpected deletion of packages that the user did not
expect to be removed that I was addressing with regards to
using yum erase.