dracut/grubby fails to update grub.cfg

Stefan Huchler stefan.huchler at mail.de
Tue Oct 21 12:07:03 UTC 2014

Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> writes:

> Where you get bad results is with, e.g. a pre-existing legacy OS like
> Windows XP, where it's not aligned and any subsequent partition is
> also not aligned. In that case, even a Btrfs volume wouldn't be
> aligned.

I dont want to care at all, I dont want to know if to use fdisk is ok or
do I have to use sfdisk or another tool etc. I dont want 1980 dos
partion tables... not dos 15.0 aka windows.

> Well it's certainly exceptionally f'n complicated in relation to the
> benefits we get. But whatever, that ship has sailed. We'll just have
> to see how it all plays out, but for now UEFI and Secure Boot are the
> way of the present, not just the future.

Benefits? I dont see any.

> No I mean you create a new partition and format it ext4. I'm not sure
> how you have sda only formatted Btrfs without other partitions unless
> you have another drive attached, because UEFI requires an EFI system
> partition;

Its called legacy boot I think. I dont even know if my 2011 Thinkpad
x220 has UEFI.

$ LANG=xx sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 119.2 GiB, 128035676160 bytes, 250069680 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x1b1cf5cb

> so minimum to boot Linux on UEFI you need two partitions if
> you have one drive.

And I want to be able to make with some basic tools and a chroot my
system bootable, not 50 funny partitons what I would never be able to remember.

> For Btrfs you need three partitions because Btrfs
> doesn't support swapfiles. The officially supported layout for Btrfs
> on UEFI is: EFI System partition, /boot on ext4, Btrfs with root and
> home subvols mounted at / and /home respectively, and swap. That's
> four partitions.

the officially supported by whom? Redhat? I dont care if grub supports
taht I am sold, if its doable better I do it better.

To swap, I dont use it at the moment, makes no sense on a ssd anyway,
because it would overwrite the same few bits again and again, ok maybe
the controller can fix it, but I dont want to, and I dont want to use
several GB not usable on the expensive ssd drives.

I dont use a dos partition table just for swap that get lowest priority
and I tell the os than anyway that it should not use it, I have 8gb ram
I dont have crashes or anything so I dont care.