Extremely Off Topic -- but!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 22 15:34:25 UTC 2014

On 22/10/14 06:56 AM,  Roger<arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Error is: ERROR 2002 Can't connect to local MYSQL through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>   From installation instructions  I did ln -s /tmp/mysql.sock
> /private/var/mysql/mysql.sock which is no help.

Error 2002 is usually a permissions/ownership problem. Try:

cd /var/lib/mysql
touch mysql.sock
chown mysql:mysql mysql.sock
chmod 1777 mysql.sock

now make a sym link into /tmp

ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp
then
chmod 1777 /tmp

( These are set in /etc/my.cnf... IF that file exists on a Mac!)

Then stop and re-start the mysql server (mysqld)

> /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server start  starts mysql but I
> cannot get it to start on boot.

My wife's MacAir is a black box to me too. I have NO idea how services
are started on a Mac. Google may be your friend.
-
              R. Geoffrey Newbury