dracut/grubby fails to update grub.cfg

Stefan Huchler stefan.huchler at mail.de
Wed Oct 22 21:14:21 UTC 2014

Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> writes:

So first of all, I am thankful that u helped me to understand the
problem I was shure I somehow on a interupted dnf process or something I
damaged something in fedora, because I did not remember or notice that
it did not update grub from the beginning.

Maybe I make a switch back to archlinux as another option. I really like
much in fedora, but here and there are some edges I would like to use
Arch again, like wanted to try gnome-i3, stole the files from AUR zip
file and tried to copy em to the propriete places but instead of
starting i3 with gnome-session or something like that it just startet
normal gnome.

So off-topic and I dont want a solution for that, just saying here and
there u have some disadvantages and this is maybe just another one, if
there are enough of them I will maybe switch. But of course nobody cares
if I switch thats ok, no problem with that, dont switch to show you that
fedora sucks or something like that, just when I do, I do it because it
fits my needs more.

> What you're doing isn't likely to ever be supported, because it's a
> non-partition disk. Right now and for the foreseeable future, the
> supported layouts will be MBR partitioned on BIOS systems when drives
> are < 2TB; and GPT in all other cases.

So the Grub people added this feature for nobody, for theoretical
persons who dont exist and me?

> By the way, the GPT partition scheme is defined in UEFI, so good luck
> totally avoiding it (you can avoid it if you don't need to partition
> large drives but many people do need to.)

lets be real redhat devs are not really happy about uefi too, but they
dont see a way around it, because they cant force vendors to sell
different hardware, for me one reason to choose fedora over archlinux
was the commitment to free software, so hardwaredongels and proprietary
root-operating systems where linux run only as process 1 not 0 basicly
are not on my most-wanted list. I know bios had the same problems, but
at least they had less lines of code and did not do so much.

BTW secure boot is a peace of shit, yes its for a few people a good
feature, but in reallity how many got such a bootloader rootkit
0.000001% of all people? I never heard of anybody have such thing, it
happens maybe if nsa wants to crack some iran atom plants, but a normal
user cant even get affected because if they only use linux nobody finds
a executable linux file with such stuff on it, but it will make millions
of users complicate or they just will not install linux.

So its obvious for what this feature is there, what its main goal is.

like power management acpi shit sounds a good idea but was proven payed
thing from microsoft (Halloween documents) to make linux suck on
laptops.

But ok I donnt want to flame here or something, just find it stupid that
there is a fix for grubby but nobody pulls that patch and integrates it
into fc21.

I just dont like it, that u cant make yourself a bootable system or fix
a broken grub2 because nobody understands anymore whats happen between
the 500 partitions with magic block sizes and 20 commands to 50
different boot phases to them.

Its so buggy everything you can have a fdsik partionon scheme and gpt
scheme in cfdisk at the same time and stuff like that. It all just went
from pretty easy to totaly hypercomplicated for no positive point except
anti-linux-boot feature.

So ok I stop here, its just u write much opinions into your posts too,
besides the usefull information, so I had to answer to them.

I am kind of ok with the answers to my specific problem. But of course I
am not totaly happy with a WONTFIX or ITSAFEATURE thing.

Sorry if I sound aggressive or something... :)