A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Oct 23 01:39:17 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 09:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
> in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
> windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
>
> So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
> distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech
> savvy for
> doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports,
> .....etc.
>
> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
>
> Thanx.
I like PCLInuxOS, since it is a rolling release, and you never have to
reinstall it. The update procedure is pretty simple, and adding
apps via Synaptic is also pretty simple. The KDE desktop is reminiscent
of Windows, and it's possible to work from the menu itself,
or to put icons (widgets?) on the desktop and start programs from them,
just as it is in Windows. The PCLOS Forum is a very
helpful group, and you normally get an answer to a question within 24
hours, sometimes less. I didn't start my Linux career with
PCLOS, so I can't say for certain what a new user from Windows would
say, but I think it is a good system, and I'v been with it for
over 4 years. (And it doesn't, at least not yet, have systemd! Altho a
novice would probably never notice the difference.)

--doug