A Linux for the totally maintenance free

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Thu Oct 23 08:19:38 UTC 2014

Instead of replying with one's own favourite distro,
The answer should be (as to be expected), "that depends on ...."

a) Which distro has all the software that she needs?
there might be distro's that are very user friendly install/maintenance, but if essential software is missing and has to be downloaded upstream, tweaked/patched compiled and so on, well...
b) Who is doing the installation? Your friend? You? Someone else?
If the installation procedure require "some skills" to get optimal result instead of point, click, reboot, get-frustrated, I should say that the most simple might not be  the best choice.
c) who is doing support? Automatic updates based on a rolling release or a "long-term-support" version are fine, if you have one around to check it, and help out if it "automatically does not work anymore"
d) hardware support ....
Yeah, linux supports more HW than Microsoft, but I mean, some distro's load such amount of unrequired rubbish, that you run out of cpu/mem before you can do anything.
e) desktop choice. Some distro's offer only a desktop that is far, far from the windows-user experience.
You might up with a working system, with all required SW on it, but if the end user cannot work with it... Even a simple migration from KDE3->KDE4 have resulted in holy wars.
f) application support. I have witness a distro that did not bother to keep up even security related software. When pinging on it, the reply of the maintainer was "No one asked for it."

Someone mentioned Ubuntu. They got certainly a lot of attention. And I have to agree, it's basic installation is as simple to install as, let say windows-7. But there the party end.

Best advise should be, use a spare machine, try and make the decision based on your friends experience, and the quirks you encounter during installation & maintenance