A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 10:50:18 UTC 2014

On 23 October 2014 02:11, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
> in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
> windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
>
> So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
> distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech savvy for
> doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports, .....etc.
>
> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Lots of useful suggestions here, but my experience has been that if
the machine is getting plagued by viruses then the user is doing ill
advised things. Switching to Linux might help to a degree in
restricting what they can do, but the more important thing might be
for them to learn to be a bit more cautious. After all switching OS
does almost nothing to improve the protection of things like online
accounts with poor passwords.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk