A Linux for the totally maintenance free

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 18:30:35 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 10:30 AM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd personally go with CentOS 7.0 (if all the required software is
>> there) or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
>> CentOS will most likely out-live Windows 7 and maintains a very strict
>> update policy (you'll have to work hard to break it) and once
>> installed correctly, will require little administrative attention. On
>> the down side, CentOS has far less packaged software compared to
>> Fedora / Debian / Ubuntu (Even w/ EPEL and RPMFusion enabled).
>> Ubuntu has far more software, is easier to use, but the Ubuntu's LTS
>> policy is far less strict than CentOS so breakage due to updates is
>> more common.
> I'm also thinking about CentOS in this use case. It's still a bit
> early for CentOS 7 in terms of both stability and extra repos, but
> if/when I use CentOS in this manner, I will be using the El Repo and
> the Nux Dextop repos -- http://li.nux.ro/repos.html. With Nux
> especially, you get all the extra applications that CentOS is
> generally missing.

I really want to avoid distros in which you have to install repos from
different
sources to get what you need.
I find that problematic for a novice due to possible conflicts between
packages
from different distros. These conflicts occur due to dependencies not
being in
sync between the packages of the main repo and the packages of the
complimentary
repo.