A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Oct 23 21:21:39 UTC 2014

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:35:58 -0500
> Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>> There is no 32-bit environment. This is a feature of RHEL 7.
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/509373
>>
>> Do you need additional proof?
>
> That article explicitly says they will continue to support
> 32 bit libraries, they just aren't shipping a 32 bit kernel.
> User level 32 bit apps will continue to run. User level
> apps that need some closed source driver that only works in
> 32 bit kernels will have a problem :-).

Thanks, I guess that would be the use case for 32 bit kernel (why the 64bit data
32bit code model isn't done, I don't know). In any case, there would not be any
such drivers if there is no 32bit kernel to build against, would there. Using a
driver built against another kernel is too risky to contemplate someone
deliberately making that a production case (I hope).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>