Extremely Off Topic -- but!

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Oct 24 02:59:18 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 08:06 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 07:17 PM, Fulko Hew issued this missive:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Kevin Cummings
>> <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net <mailto:cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>> wrote:
>>
>>      On 10/22/2014 08:31 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>      >
>>      > Back in the day (late 70's), we had a "VCC". Clever reuse of the
>>      > nomenclature for the primary voltage supply to a chip, but in this
>>      case
>>      > it meant "Valley Computer Club". This was when we used to
>>      wire-wrap our
>>      > own circuit boards and the Zilog Z80 was brand-spankin' new!
>>      >
>>      >       "Geeze! It runs at 4 MHz? And you have 32K of static RAM? Wow!"
>>
>>      Been there, done that, (still) got the IMSAI.
>>

>> Been there, done that too, got the tee shirt, (still got the Altair!)
>
> I still have the Imsai, Altair, Poly88, Cromemco, Sol20, Vector88 and a
> bunch of other very weird stuff (Tarbell ACI, ASR33 teletype, OpLabs
> paper tape reader, etc., etc.)
>
> "I'm not a hoarder! I'm an archivist!" :-)
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks at alldigital.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -

You guys have kept the old hardware. I only have the tee shirt--I wrote
a short article for the magazine of The Big Board (can't remember the name of
the mag) telling how to improve the video bandwidth, and they sent me a
tan-color tee-shirt with "Author" in big letters on it. The only old computer
I sort of wish I still had was the Atari, but I guess it would seem awfully
crude by today's standards. Especially the video. It was my first color
computer but it sure didn't have a lot of pixels!
Enough reminiscing.
--doug