Running Fedora or RHEL7 with NetworkManager

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 24 17:01:51 UTC 2014

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:45:10AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have a complex firewall setup running on an older version of
>> Fedora, and I'd like to upgrade to RHEL7 or recent Fedora.
>> Unfortunately, I can't really do what I need using firewalld, so two
>> questions:
>> 1 - has anyone done this and were there any serious gotcha's?
>> 2 - is it as easy as removing firewalld and installing networkmanager with yum?
>
> NetworkManager should already be installed by default (in everything
> but Fedora Cloud). Firewalld can be removed and replaced with something
> else — although it might be nice to file an RFE so that it has support
> for the hoops you need jumped, because the eventual intention is to
> make it _easier_ to support complex setups like this.

This is such a custom setup, I'm not sure that resources would be justified in
doing so, although I would be happy to see it.

Off the top of my head:
- source IP is forced for some outgoing connections:
     by protocol (port, actually)
     by destination IP
- Packets with a given source IP must go out of the appropriate interface.
   Why Linux does any other thing is either politics or religion, but
   must happen.
- FORWARDing rules based on the NIC getting the connection, not the IP
   address.

I didn't make up the requirements, I did actually write the rules which make the
magic happen.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>