Running Fedora or RHEL7 with NetworkManager

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 24 17:39:15 UTC 2014

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:45:10 -0400
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> 2 - is it as easy as removing firewalld and installing networkmanager with yum?
>
> They have nothing to do with one another as far as I know.
>
> Just copy your /etc/sysconfig/iptables (and ip6tables) from your old
> system and
>
> systemctl disable firewalld
> systemctl mask firewalld
> systemctl enable iptables
> systemctl enable ip6tables
>
> and all the "easy" firewalld crap you have no idea how to use
> and don't want to waste time learning is gone and all the "complicated"
> iptables stuff you already spent years learning and know how to
> use is back :-).

Thanks, this is the assurance I was hoping to get,

I fear that the firewalld interface leans toward making "do it the way the UI
author would" easy, and it never occurred to him/her/them to do anything like
what I'm doing.

And I can/do use firewalld for clients, and even servers, but for forwarding
rules, and routing efforts, it's not an optimal UI.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>