Running Fedora or RHEL7 with NetworkManager

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:43:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:39:15PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> >On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:45:10 -0400
> >Bill Davidsen wrote:
> >
> >>2 - is it as easy as removing firewalld and installing networkmanager with yum?
> >
> >They have nothing to do with one another as far as I know.
> >
> >Just copy your /etc/sysconfig/iptables (and ip6tables) from your old
> >system and
> >
> >systemctl disable firewalld
> >systemctl mask firewalld
> >systemctl enable iptables
> >systemctl enable ip6tables
> >
> >and all the "easy" firewalld crap you have no idea how to use
> >and don't want to waste time learning is gone and all the "complicated"
> >iptables stuff you already spent years learning and know how to
> >use is back :-).
> >
> Thanks, this is the assurance I was hoping to get,
>
> I fear that the firewalld interface leans toward making "do it the way the
> UI author would" easy, and it never occurred to him/her/them to do anything
> like what I'm doing.
>
> And I can/do use firewalld for clients, and even servers, but for forwarding
> rules, and routing efforts, it's not an optimal UI.

Have you looked at the firewalld rich language that handles more
complex rules than the UI?  For a primer:

$ man 5 firewalld.richlanguage

I for one would find it useful for OPs to give concrete examples of
things they feel can't be done, which allows the list members to test
assertions.  That's also a great benefit of a FOSS community.