Where is a Camera Mount Point?

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Fri Oct 24 23:31:48 UTC 2014

On 10/25/2014 01:09 AM, poma wrote:
> On 24.10.2014 07:50, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> I have plugged a digital camera into my usb port and mounted it using
>> the popup displayed from the auto detect via konqueror (this annoys me
>> as well). When konqueror is launched it displays the contents via
>> Camera:/ which is okay, but subsequently I can't find any entries under
>> /run that represent the camera. I assumed there would be a mount point
>> under /run like there is for a usb flash disk. Given that there appears
>> to not be a mount point under /run, where is it mounted in Fedora 20, so
>> that I can point dolphin (which is what should be launched from the
>> 'Open with File Manager' prompt, not Konqueror) at the mount point
>> rather than having to manually type Camera:/ into the address bar.
> ptp != usb_storage
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
> http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/
>
> modinfo -d usb_storage
> USB Mass Storage driver for Linux
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/plain/drivers/usb/storage/Kconfig
>

> poma

Thankyou for the links. I looked at those links which gave me a lot more
information that I didn't know about. Unfortunately the documentation on
libphoto2 seems to potentially be self conflicting. The list of cameras
that libphoto2 supports seems to have my Nikon D3100 listed, but the
list of cameras and how they are supported under Unix does not appear to
list my camera.
Following Cameron's email I checked the mount list which seems to
indicate there is no mount point, which also coincides with the
available device interface in the system tray not being able to unmount
the camera before disconnection.
Also now that I have changed to application preference order in the
properties of the folder displayed by dolphin, whenever I select 'Open
with File Manager' at device detection time the process correctly
launched dolphin to display the contents, whereas yesterday when
konqueror was the default application, manually pointing dolphin at
Camera:/ would not display the contents of the camera because dolphin
was trying to treat the camera as a usb device and couldn't acquire the
usb. The only issue with dolphin is it doesn't display the folder name
where the images are stored on the camera as the same name that the
camera says it is, dolphin seems to be putting its own prefix on the
folder name.
Also dolphin seems to be starting at a higher point in the directory
tree for its displays than where Windows starts.
DigiKam now seems be displaying the files on the camera now as well,
whereas yesterday it couldn't either, although digiKam doesn't
understand the raw format files that I am taking with the camera. I
could use jpeg images but that is not as good for image manipulation and
corrections as raw is. I can process these files using the raw interface
to Photoshop Elements and Elements itself, albeit under windows, so not
being able to access these under Linux is not that big a deal to me,
other than the fact that I have to use Windows.

regards,
Steve