A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 28 04:16:44 UTC 2014

On 10/28/2014 03:41 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> The lady I am trying to help does not even want to have to do
> any updates. She wants it all so atutomatic, that once I configure
> her network, and her desktop icons, she wants the installation to
> maintain itself.
> In a lot of ways, windoze does this for their users,
That's what I call an urban legend.

Windows _tries_ to do so and it often works on most occasions, but it
also occasionally screws up pretty badly, esp. when an update goes wrong
or when Microsoft screws it (This had happened several times earlier
this year).

Windows also only tries update itself, but doesn't take care about
updating packages from other sources. In most cases, users will have to
resort to using package proprietary updaters which may or may not work,
but always will require "admin" action or them to act as maintainers.

Ralf