rc.local not start at the boot

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Oct 28 19:21:41 UTC 2014

On 10/28/14 23:39, Angelo Moreschini wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> How I said you in the preceded thread,_the file hello was created (when I tried the first time. I deleted it recently.)._

OK....  That tells you that rc.local is being executed.

> Now I am send you the contents of the files .. :(but I am not able to understand totally what you suggest me to do)
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1) the content of the file /ctc/rc./rc.local --------------------------------------------------------------
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # this i the file /ctc/rc./rc.local
>
> log # send stderr from rc.local to a log file exec 2> /tmp/rc.local.
>
> exec 1>&2 # send stdout to the same log file
>
> set -x # tell sh to display commands before execution
>
> /home/angelo_dev/bin/syncronize-java_srcs.sh
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2) the content of the file/home/angelo_dev/bin/syncronize-java_srcs.sh-------------------
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # this is the file /home/angelo_dev/bin/syncronize-java_srcs.sh
>

> rsync -av --delete --include='*/' --include='*.java' --include='*.form' --exclude='*' \
>
>                           /home/programmers/java/PROJECTS_development/ \
>
>                         /media/PRTZ-src_sync
>

> (this script works if I launch it from line command)
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3) the content of the file /tmp/rc.local.log -------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [angelo_dev at zorro ~]$ vi /tmp/rc.local.log
>
> + /home/angelo_dev/bin/syncronize-java_srcs.sh
>
> (I don't see nothing about the test...)

Right....  Because you have rc.local calling another script!    Please don't do that....

Make your rc.local contain....

#!/bin/bash
exec 2> /tmp/rc.local.log               # send stderr from rc.local to a log file
exec 1>&2                                     # send stdout to the same log file
set -x                                             # tell sh to display commands before execution
rsync -av    rest of the command.....