iptables adding rules not in /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Oct 30 23:12:42 UTC 2014

On 10/31/14 02:11, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:00:28 -0600
> jd1008 wrote:
>
>> Why is this taking place?
> Lots of things fiddle with iptables rules.
>
> If you have the new firewalld service running, God knows what it
> does. Also the default libvirtd service starts a bunch of
> networking things for providing a default network that includes
> some firewall tinkering (or used to, anyway).

FWIW, I'm working on a fresh install at the moment....doing some "experimenting".

Using firewalld, ports 53 (DNS) and 67 (bootp) are not open.  Additionally, after install of the bind and dhcp packages they remain not open.

It is only when specifically configured to be opened are they.  Also, when configured by the firewall-config GUI, udp/tcp is open for port 53 but only udp is open for 67.