rc.local not start at the boot

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 31 08:32:12 UTC 2014

On 10/31/14 16:22, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> your suggestion seemed to be the right one ..
> But still did not work ...
>
> I made now ​​one further try :
> these are the listed files I used

It isn't related to $PATH ....  I'm too tired to explain again....

> -------------------------[angelo_dev at zorro rc.d]$ cat rc.local---------
> #!/bin/bash
> /etc/rc.d/dummy-test.sh

Please try again to change this line....

> /etc/rc.d/syncronize-java_srcs.sh

to this.....

su -c '/etc/rc.d/syncronize-java_srcs.sh' programmers

and see if it works....

It works for me....

> ------------------------[angelo_dev at zorro rc.d]$ cat dummy-test.sh--------------
> #!/bin/bash
> cp /home/angelo_dev/Documents/dconf-Editor.xcf /media/PRTZ-src_sync
>
> ----------------[angelo_dev at zorro rc.d]$ cat syncronize-java_srcs.sh--------
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/bin/rsync -av \
>               --delete \
>               --include='*/' \
>               --include='*.java' \
>               --include='*.form' \
>               --exclude='*' \
>               /home/programmers/java/PROJECTS_development/ \
>               /media/PRTZ-src_sync
> 1) if I launch rc.local _from the command line_ then
>    the _file is copied_ and _the backup is done_
> 2) if I _reboot the computer_ then
>    the _file is copied_ *BUT* _the backup is  not done_...
>

> The test proves conclusively that the failure is related to the use of the rsync command ...
> but can not depend on its path because this time I used the absolute path ..
>
> Need to investigate more about something specific related to the rsync command

It is unfortunate that I've not been able to get any error message to display.  I have an idea of the problem and why no message is shown....but again...too tired.

Try what I've suggested above.  And if it works, be happy.  At least for now.