"Input out of Range"

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 20:29:56 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-31 12:25, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:49:38 -0700
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> One way out is to plug the monitor into the box directly, boot up and
>> verify that the screen comes up correctly. You can then get X to dump
>> its settings and put those into an Xorg.conf file so it always uses
>> those values. It won't matter then what the KVM spews out since X will
>> use the information from the conf file.
>
> That works up to the point where you try to modify the xorg.conf
> file. X pays no attention to xorg.conf most of the time these
> days. What does work is getting the EDID from the monitor and
> stashing it in a firmware directory where you can use it to
> force the kernel to override EDID any time anyone asks about it.
>
> Get edid from currently connected monitor:
>
> monitor-get-edid > /lib/firmware/edid.bin
>
> Stick this on kernel options in grub config file:
>
> drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid.bin
>
> Now the dadgum kernel will boot with the edid for the
> monitor even if it isn't connected at boot time.

Works fine until you hook up a monitor the XOrg stuff does not understand. The
EDID is passed through on my systems. It is not interpreted properly by default
on most systems, including Windows and 'ix. So I had to hand create the
configuration parameters.

I had to build an xorg.conf file with things like these in it:
Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         ModelName    "Gateway LCD"
         HorizSync    30.0 - 74.6
         VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
         Modeline "1920x1200" 193.16 1920 2048 2256 2592 1200 1201 1204 1242
-HSync +Vsync
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Device0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Modes "1920x1200" "1680x1050" "1600x1024" "1600x1200"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
         EndSubSection
EndSection

The monitor came with sufficient information to "fake it" this way.

{o.o}   Joanne
{o.o}