rc.local not start at the boot

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 31 21:09:43 UTC 2014

On 11/01/14 02:55, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/31/2014 02:21 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> The problem is related to "selinux".
>
> How do you know?  Are you getting SELinux alerts about this every time you boot?

It was quite simple....

I replicated what I hoped to be the OP's environment in a VM.  In doing so I also saw a failure to successfully complete the execution of the rsync command.  However, as you saw, there were no error messages to be seen.

So, I simply looked in /var/log/audit/audit.log  And saw this in AVC in the log...

type=AVC msg=audit(1414746668.306:107): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=805 comm="rsync" name="programmers" dev="dm-0" ino=786655 scontext=system_u:system_r:rsync_t:s0 tcontext=unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_dir_t:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0

Notice that the command in question is "rsync".

Then using the selinux tools available, determined that "setsebool -P rsync_full_access 1" was a fix for the AVC.

I then rebooted and everything now works......for me.

My failure, of course, was to assume that I'd replicated the OPs environment as it is now.

I'm not in the habit of making blind guesses.  I tend to try an replicate problems to test fixes.  I did so.

I'm of the impression that things have changed from the OP's original problem, which I will explain later.