rc.local not start at the boot

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Oct 31 21:22:14 UTC 2014

On 10/31/2014 02:09 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> It was quite simple....
>
> I replicated what I hoped to be the OP's environment in a VM.  In doing so I also saw a failure to successfully complete the execution of the rsync command.  However, as you saw, there were no error messages to be seen.
>
> So, I simply looked in /var/log/audit/audit.log  And saw this in AVC in the log...
>
> type=AVC msg=audit(1414746668.306:107): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=805 comm="rsync" name="programmers" dev="dm-0" ino=786655 scontext=system_u:system_r:rsync_t:s0 tcontext=unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_dir_t:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0
>
> Notice that the command in question is "rsync".
>
> Then using the selinux tools available, determined that "setsebool -P rsync_full_access 1" was a fix for the AVC.
>
> I then rebooted and everything now works......for me.

Thank you.  Asked and answered.  The reason I asked in the first place
was because I've seen many people blame their Linux problems on SELinux
when there was absolutely no evidence that it was involved, and continue
to do so after they'd completely disabled it with no change to the
situation.  In the lack of direct evidence, I tend to be skeptical of
such claims, because insisting that SELinux is the culprit in such cases
simply wastes time and effort that could be used to better effect in
finding evidence as to what really is the cause.

I also find it interesting that it was causing the command to fail for
you, but doesn't seem to be involved in the OP's case.  I will be very
interested in learning just what's going on, and will continue to offer
suggestions if and when I have them.