External drive is being mounted as read-only

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Sep 1 00:33:20 UTC 2014

On 09/01/14 08:22, Joe Z eff wrote:
> On 08/31/2014 05:06 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 09/01/14 07:52, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> chown youruser:yourgroup /mnt/test
>>
>> Alternatively, you could make /mnt/test similar to /tmp
>>
>> chmod 1777 /mnt/test
>>

> I don't remember how this thread started, but I find it a tad odd that the drive is being mounted in /mnt/test because the default for auto-mounting external media is in /run/media/USERNAME, and if the drive has a label, it's mounted as /run/media/USERNAME/LABEL.  If the drive has an entry in /etc/fstab, you can mount it anyplace you want, but before you mount the drive you have to create the mountpoint manually and, if needed, set the permissions.

If you go back and read the thread you'd find that I'd asked the OP to mount it manually with -v to see if there were any errors being reported.  So, it isn't odd at all.

The fsck fixed the initial problem that probably was the result of using "scrub" on the partition.  The fsck recovered the journal....which was probably the problem.

So, the problem with mounting RO is now fixed.  Just giving suggestions on how the OP can achieve the goal of using the drive without becoming root or using sudo.  The "fix" depends on how the OP intends the drive to be used.