External drive is being mounted as read-only

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Sep 1 00:55:25 UTC 2014

On Aug 31, 2014, at 4:33 PM, Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com> wrote:

> On Monday, September 01, 2014 06:26:56 AM Ed Greshko wrote:
>> What do you mean by "scrubbed"?
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/man1/scrub.1.html
>
>> Have you tried un-mounting and running fsck on the partition?
>
> Disk is pretty new and it was in working condition last time I tried it.
>
> sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
> fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
> e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
> storejet25m3: recovering journal
> storejet25m3: clean, 11/61054976 files, 3883091/244190208 blocks

Ideally boot from alternate media and run
e2fsck -f

Otherwise, if you're repairing root while booted from it you should boot in emergency mode [1] but chances are that's already happening to you, if so:

e2fsck -f
Make a note of any major problems or unfixed problems, cell phone camera is good for this, then
systemctl reboot -f

Chris Murphy

[1] Edit the grub menu entry, add this boot parameter: systemd.unit=emergency.target