F20 + Old but unused hardware continually core dumps

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 1 06:13:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 22:48 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:
> My test for a bad CMOS battery is simply to load the default CMOS
> values - make sure the machine is NOT turned off - and see if the
> problem goes away - but returns after the machine is turned off  (for
> a time).

I've come across computers that foul up when powered up with a dead CMOS
battery.  I get the impression that some BIOSs have parts of themselves
powered only by the battery, and don't get anything from the main power
supply.

> But frankly if you are going to go to all that trouble - for the cost
> (see:
> http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR2032-Lithium-Battery-packs/dp/B00FO9HQLS/
> ) you might as well keep some on hand and replace them while you are
> in there.

The shelf life of some batteries is not that different from their
operating life.  I wouldn't keep spares around for long.  I seem to
recall that /that/ battery has a lifespan of about 3-4 years, whether in
the computer or unopened in the packet.  It seems to be the way with
lithium batteries.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.15.10-201.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Aug 27 21:33:30 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.