External drive is being mounted as read-only

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Sep 1 06:14:31 UTC 2014

On 09/01/14 14:04, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>> Yep, so many ways to solve the "problem".  Just depends on what the goal of end user happens to be.  At least the most pressing issue for the OP has been resolved as the partition no longer mounts RO.
> I find it odd that the ext4 disk is being mounted as read-only. From
> what I remember I have always used ex4 drive and I never had to this
> problem. All my external drives are always mounted as read-write. Are
> you sure if this is not a bug?

It is *no longer* being mounted as RO.

The fsck fixed that when it recovered the journal.

Exactly what "scrub" command did you use?  I can test to see if it results in damage to the journal and see if the issue is reproducible.

In your message of "Mon, 01 Sep 2014 04:23:14 +0530" you showed....

mount | grep /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/test type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

So, you demonstrated that it is now being mounted RW.

So, all you need to do is "change" permissions on the mounted file system to meet your needs.  Then you won't have to change to root, or use sudo.

Look back on suggestions being offered by myself and others.