F20 + Old but unused hardware continually core dumps

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Sep 1 20:28:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 12:39:48PM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/01/2014 03:28 AM, Tim wrote:
> >I was thinking in the other direction:  That when mains power is
> >available, the main supply powers the CMOS instead of the battery, to
> >prolong its life.
>
> Not only does the regular power supply run the CMOS, it recharges
> the battery, which is why they last so long.

Actuaqlly,Ithink not. most boards I've seenin recent  yearsuse a cr2032
lithium, a non-rechargeable battery. theyt last 5-8 years because
they're lithijum.

a couple decades ago I had some boards with a small-cad battery, which
one might think was a good idea, but in 3-5 years they leak all over
the circuitry, ruining the board and/or other components.

Fred

> --

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.