f21 workstation(gnome) ping fedora servers every 300seconds

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Tue Sep 2 05:29:52 UTC 2014

On 31.08.2014, bitlord wrote:

> There is a new feature introduced in Gnome and NetworkManager which
> allows 'Captive Portal'[1] services to work. This may be useful feature
> for some users (that is why it is implemented), but most users won't use
> it, and it pings fedora servers every '300seconds'

Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention. Although F21 is not
a final release, it will be some day, and I'm glad you reported it
here. I think most of the subscribers here are not subscribed to any
development list..

> At the moment users aren't aware of this feature, and most users
> probably never will find it working in the background, but I think it
> shouldn't be enable by default silently
[....]

You're absolutely right. I'm perfectly clear that F21 is still under
development, and this behaviour thus can be changed for the final
release. Nevertheless, silently introducing a constant pinger will
make me frustrated if this will be the standard behaviour in F21
final.

>From now on, I'll monitor future Fedora releases via external hardware
for all suspicious or unwanted traffic. Such behaviour is absolutely
unacceptable to me.