External drive is being mounted as read-only

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Tue Sep 2 19:46:51 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, September 02, 2014 05:07:36 AM Ed Greshko wrote:
> And, as others have already pointed out, it is the numerical UID/GID being
> the same across all systems which makes it work.  I mentioned all of this
> earlier on in this thread....

This is a very weird scheme of things. We allow a system with generic set of
UID/GID but block on some. If all you need to access a hard drive's data is to
set correct UID/GID then why bother about it all. And anyone can chown the
disk and have any sort of access they want. It should be automatically ported
to the current user for sake of convenience at least for folks who use
graphical file managers.

--
Sudhir Khanger,
http://sudhirkhanger.com