External drive is being mounted as read-only

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Sep 2 22:25:05 UTC 2014

On 09/03/14 03:46, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> This is a very weird scheme of things. We allow a system with generic set of
> UID/GID but block on some. If all you need to access a hard drive's data is to
> set correct UID/GID then why bother about it all. And anyone can chown the
> disk and have any sort of access they want. It should be automatically ported
> to the current user for sake of convenience at least for folks who use
> graphical file managers.

The GID/UID scheme has been around since the dawn of Unix.  Anyone cannot chown, they need to be root.
It isn't, and never was intended, to be a method of securing access to external drives.  If you need to secure access to data on an external drive then you need to use encrypted partitions.

Anyway, your problem has been resolved.