KDE became a sort of sloth

Walter Cazzola cazzola at di.unimi.it
Wed Sep 3 13:51:06 UTC 2014

Dear Fedora Experts,
I've a Dell Precision m6500 with i7 and 1GB NVIDIA FX3800M and it is
running a Fedora 20 since it was distributed without any trouble.

Two days ago I have updated my system through yum and since then KDE is
really slow to start (Today it tooks 8 minutes to be usable again) and
sometimes becomes unresponsive for a while.

The period of freezing coincide with some HD activities (or at least
with the HD indicator light turned on without blinking (or blinking so
fast that I can't discern it). I've tried to see with top if I have some
suspect process running but everything is as usual.

Also the KDE session the system restores is pretty naïve with a couple
of konsoles, an instance of firefox and a couple of okulars open.
Nothing that, in my view, can justify the change.

I've tried to undo the last update but yum fails in that due to a
dependency issue. Both Baloo and Akonadi indexing service are turned
off. Also googling around didn't suggest me new ideas about how to fix
the problem

My next try it would be to use the nvidia drivers instead of nouveau but
before selling my soul to the evil ;-) I'd prefer to ask for help.

Any suggestion? Any known bug I'm run into?

Thank you in adavance for your help
Walter