[Fedora] Re: KDE became a sort of sloth

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Sep 4 09:21:16 UTC 2014

On 09/04/14 17:03, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> you are right here comes the info you suggested to provide.
>
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Step 0 - Don't just tell the list there is a dependency issue for a
>> downgrade.  Show the list what the issue is.
>
> unfortunately I can't reproduce the dependency issue since I have done a
> further update since then and now to undo that specific update just give
> a "failed to downgrade" on all packages.

OK....

>> Step 1 - Check your yum log and determine which packages were updated.
>
> The update involved:
>  · GraphicsMagick
>  · GraphicsMagick-doc

<snip>

None of those packages would seem to have any relationship to a slow down of KDE.

>> Step 2 - Create a totally new user and login as the new user to see if
>> that user exhibits the same issue.
>
> I've tried to run KDE as root user without any problem. I never use KDE
> as root so nothing was open and configurated so the issue is related to
> something on my user but nothing has canged before and after the update
> in my configuration.
>
> Any hints?

First off, I prefer to create a new user and test with that as opposed to using root.  So, I really would do that first.
But, once you've confirmed that it is specific to your user I would do something like the following to narrow things down.  (Hard to be very specific since I don't know if you are using saved sessions or are auto starting applications).

I would login as a different user, or login to a terminal session, to make sure the KDE is not running for the problem account.  Then, I would move the .kde/share directory to .kde/share-save or whatever and then try to login.  If that fixes the problem then I'd go about narrowing down what may be causing the trouble in that directory structure.

The problem could also, potentially, be related to something in .config.

Yes, it can be a time consuming process.  That is why I keep a weekly snapshot of my .kde and .config directory structure.  And because something similar happened to me a few years ago.  I gave up on try to track it down and just blew away those directories and started configuring as I liked it.