[Fedora] Re: KDE became a sort of sloth

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:59:17 UTC 2014

On 4 September 2014 10:21, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/14 17:03, Walter Cazzola wrote:
>> Hi Ed,
>> you are right here comes the info you suggested to provide.
>>

>>> Step 2 - Create a totally new user and login as the new user to see if
>>> that user exhibits the same issue.
>>
>> I've tried to run KDE as root user without any problem. I never use KDE
>> as root so nothing was open and configurated so the issue is related to
>> something on my user but nothing has canged before and after the update
>> in my configuration.
>>
>> Any hints?
>>

> First off, I prefer to create a new user and test with that as opposed to using root.  So, I really would do that first.
> But, once you've confirmed that it is specific to your user I would do something like the following to narrow things down.  (Hard to be very specific since I don't know if you are using saved sessions or are auto starting applications).
>
> I would login as a different user, or login to a terminal session, to make sure the KDE is not running for the problem account.  Then, I would move the .kde/share directory to .kde/share-save or whatever and then try to login.  If that fixes the problem then I'd go about narrowing down what may be causing the trouble in that directory structure.

One thing it may be worth looking at is whether a ls on your home
directory works (the normal aliased ls with colour coding meaning it
needs to stat things). I've sometimes found KDE hangs at the
'icons'/splash stage and it's invariably because of a link in my home
directory to a mount point which is timing out.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk