ssh problems

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Sep 4 15:44:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 10:38:57 -0500,
  Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>I have two machines on a Local LAN. Machine A can ssh and sftp to
>Machine B. But ssh on Machine B to Machine A results in port 22
>connection refused. How can this be fixed and or port 22 be opened?

Note that the problem could also be that sshd is not running on machine
A. You probably should check that first as it is easy.
systemctl status sshd
And then if it isn't running:
systemctl enable sshd
systemctl start sshd

If you aren't using the firewall package, then you can edit the iptables
config in /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow connections to port 22 from
whichever source ip addresses you you need. (You might also need to update
/etc/sysconfig/ip6tables if you are using ip6.) You then need to restart
iptables (or ip6tables) with:
systemctl restart iptables

If you are using the firewall package there is some graphical config
package for updating it. You could start with man firewalld, but I am
not sure if there is better documentation for it somewhere else.