ssh problems

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Thu Sep 4 19:24:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> I have two machines on a Local LAN. Machine A can ssh and sftp to
> Machine B. But ssh on Machine B to Machine A results in port 22
> connection refused. How can this be fixed and or port 22 be opened?

The two things that I forget about when I set up a machine are:

1) I have the ssh client but not sshd installed *and turned on*.  If you
do an lsof -P -i, is the machine *listening* on port 22?

2) If the machine is listening, then make sure your firewall doesn't
have it blocked.  I know I always take flak for this, but selinux always
seems to give me fits, and I turn it off.  That's not a big problem for
me, since I don't run a commercial or government network any more --
when I did, I wasn't so cavalier.  But you'll have to get someone else
to tell you how to make sure selinux is dealing with it if you keep it
on.

... and netcat is your friend, of course.

billo