Some newbie questions

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Sep 5 18:36:34 UTC 2014

On 09/05/2014 11:10 AM, Bat Phil wrote:

> 3. Am I correct in my assumption that my mail client (I will be using
> Thunderbird) stores all its e-mails and settings in a hidden directory
> within the home directory?

~/.thunderbird to be exact.

> 4. If I do a reinstall later, will the OS pick up that I already have
> the home directory structure on a separate drive and automatically
> configure to it or will I have to do a bit of tinkering?

The installer has no way of knowing how you want your various partitions
mounted unless you tell it.  To do what you want, you need to create a
custom partitioning layout, which is quite simple.  You specify what
partition is mounted where, tell anaconda how you want it formatted or,
if you want to keep the data, that it's not to be formatted.  Generally
speaking, /home is the only partition not formatted, but there are
exceptions, such as if you have a complete drive dedicated to a video
collection and want it mounted as (let's say) /video.