VirtualBox -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 5 19:18:46 UTC 2014

On 09/05/14 14:45, Kevin Martin wrote:
> I gave up on the version from rpmfusion since they are unable to keep up with kernel updates from what I can tell and the akmod
> would fail to rebuild.  I downloaded the version from VirtualBox.org, checked to see what patches I might need for the kernel I'm
> on, patched and built it and it's working flawlessly at this time.  It's important to note that Oracle/VirtualBox *also don't tend
> to keep up with the kernel versions very well but there are a number of people who do figure out where the patches need to be and
> submit patches on the forums to get things working.  It's much easier to patch, at least I think it is, the virtualbox.org version
> than it is to try to de-rpm the rpmfusion version, patch it, and re-rpm it back to a state where it can be reinstalled with yum/dnf
> and work (temporarily).
>
> Kevin

I had to quit and make a trip to town which accounts for my not
responding for a while.

I'm confused about what version I'm running. The XFCE menu shows Oracle
VM VirtualBox. When I tried to RPM install the kmod/akmod stuff it was
already there. Apparently the Oracle version is what is giving me trouble?

When I select "Virtual Machine Manager" I can bring up centos7 and it
seems to work. It looks like I have two versions of VBox? I'm not sure
how to determine that and don't remember installing either one but
obviously did. I probably did it while trying to accomplish something
that needed it and VBox was peripheral to what I was doing, dunno, I'm
drawing a blank.

Anyway selecting Virtual Machine Manager produces a working VM.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  Fedora-20/64bit Linux/XFCE