Some newbie questions

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 5 20:20:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 03:31:38PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > 1. I am using older hardware - AMD Semperon 3000+ (socket 754), which I
> > understand is a 64 bit CPU. Will this run better, worse or no differently
> > with the 64 bit OS over the 32 bit?
> 64 bit. This is mostly because the switch also enables some other CPU
> features (like more registers) which make a significant difference. It will
> take up a bit more RAM, but generally the other things make it worth it.

Ooh, I need to retract this. Owen Taylor just posted some interesting actual
measurements with current F21 Workstation test images (which are Gnome
based). His conclusion is that with under 2GB of RAM, the memory saved by
using 32-bit is actually more of a big deal than the improvements you'd get
from the CPU in 64-bit mode.

See
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2014-September/010565.html
for details and numbers.

This may be less true with LXDE or another more-lightweight desktop
environment, though.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>