Some newbie questions

Bat Phil batphil64 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 22:29:51 UTC 2014

After a weekend of installing and re-installing, I thought I would share
what I have found:

Hardware setup:

AMD Semperon 300+ (old)
64MB AGP graphics card
1GB DDR400 RAM
160GB HD configured as follows.....
   500MB boot partition
   10GB swap partition
   142GB root partition
250GB HD configured at home partition

I have tried the following installs, in order:

Gnome desktop (64 and 32 bit) - desktop crashes at login and will not work
Mate desktop (64 bit) - works fine
Cinnamon desktop (64 and 32 bit) - desktop crashes as soon as I run an
application
LXDE desktop (32 and 64 bit) - works fine but some warnings flashed when
updating via YUM (something about unknown metadata)

I set up two user accounts, put some data in the home folders and
configured Thunderbird on both accounts (did this on the Mate install). On
subsequent installs, I mapped the home partition to my data drive and it
mapped straight to the home directory structure previously set up - all the
data is there, as are the e-mail settings and browsing history. All this
without any further intervention.

Unfortunately, the current LXDE install won't let me create any additional
users for some reason (despite having set my account up as administrator),
so I can't yet confirm that my second account will also map to the pre-existing
home folder for that user, but I have no reason to believe it won't.

I'll have another play when the new memory arrives, I still want to try
Gnome and KDE, but I do like the look of Cinnamon so far (despite not being
able to get it to work yet).

Many thanks to everyone who contributed their knowledge and opinions.

Phil