Some newbie questions

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 22:35:57 UTC 2014

On 09/07/2014 06:29 PM, Bat Phil wrote:
> After a weekend of installing and re-installing, I thought I would
> share what I have found:
>
> Hardware setup:
>
> AMD Semperon 300+ (old)
> 64MB AGP graphics card
> 1GB DDR400 RAM
> 160GB HD configured as follows.....
>    500MB boot partition
>    10GB swap partition
>    142GB root partition
> 250GB HD configured at home partition
>

> I have tried the following installs, in order:
>
> Gnome desktop (64 and 32 bit) - desktop crashes at login and will not work
> Mate desktop (64 bit) - works fine
> Cinnamon desktop (64 and 32 bit) - desktop crashes as soon as I run an
> application
> LXDE desktop (32 and 64 bit) - works fine but some warnings flashed
> when updating via YUM (something about unknown metadata)
>

> I set up two user accounts, put some data in the home folders and
> configured Thunderbird on both accounts (did this on the Mate
> install). On subsequent installs, I mapped the home partition to my
> data drive and it mapped straight to the home directory structure
> previously set up - all the data is there, as are the e-mail settings
> and browsing history. All this without any further intervention.
>
> Unfortunately, the current LXDE install won't let me create any
> additional users for some reason (despite having set my account up as
> administrator), so I can't yet confirm that my second account will
> also map to the pre-existing home folder for that user, but I have no
> reason to believe it won't.
>
> I'll have another play when the new memory arrives, I still want to
> try Gnome and KDE, but I do like the look of Cinnamon so far (despite
> not being able to get it to work yet).
>
> Many thanks to everyone who contributed their knowledge and opinions.
>
> Phil
>

> On 5 September 2014 21:22, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us <mailto:joe at zeff.us>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 09/05/2014 01:08 PM, Bat Phil wrote:
>
>         Best thing then is to set up a 2-drive system, put some
>         non-critical
>         data files in the home directories and try it out then. Although
>         presumably, if I do manage to balls up the IDs and block the
>         data, then
>         it's just a case of logging in as root and sorting out
>         permissions??
>

>     Generally speaking, yes.  Even more important, be sure to back up
>     /home before you start this, just to be on the safe side.
>     --

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it could be that the graphics card
isn't "strong" enough?...I mean 64MB?....I don't know off hand what the
memory requirements are for a standard Gnome desktop...but I'm thinking
it might need more than that?.I do know that I have machines with 256MB
graphics and they run fine..but nothing under that....(so far!)....I
dunno I guess if I'm wrong then no worries...since I'm not a "guru" or
even a "professional" on any level! Just adding my two cents....

EGO II