One of my systems stalls at start-up

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Sep 8 07:39:06 UTC 2014

On 09/08/14 14:51, Antonio M wrote:
> When I start one of my systems, sometimes it stalls, even using Esc to see what is going on, I cannot enter the text mode.If I issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del, it switches to text mode but it is so fast that I cannot read anything..
>
> Any advice is appreciated (is systemd to be blamed?)

Well, one thing you can do is...   When the grub boot selection menu comes up you and hit "e" to edit your boot parameters.  Find the "linux" line for the kernel you are booting and remove the "rhgb" and "quiet" from the line and continue booting.  Then you may be able to see where in the boot process things are getting hung.

Another thing to consider is adding a 3 to the end of the line to boot into multi-user mode.  If that works fine...then you can try going into graphical mode manually to see what happens.

Oh, and try not to make any "assumptions" on what could be causing the problem.  :-) :-)