is it the future?

Balint Szigeti balint.szgt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 07:55:02 UTC 2014

hello all

I've just read this artic.
http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

What do you think guyes?
Does systemd really want to be the 'core-engine' for an OS? It sound
ridiculous for me.  As I remember their target was (only) replace the
init, then they did more and more, they pushed the targets over and
over, which is not bad but just think.

1) replace init - get a new process/service scheduler/maintaner
2) write a new logging system.............journalctl
3) hard-code the dhcp and ntp client into systemd... why? just gain the
control.........
maybe there were more, I haven't read everything about systemd......
4) anything could be, like the article... what next? replace the kernel,
write an own X and GUI for only systemd?
and in the future we will have systemd OS for money which was developed
by community and some people just gain the lead and control. They will
displace everything else, and convince the HW and SW vendor
(proprietary) to ship their product to systemd OS then voilĂ , they win.

I have a bad feeling, systemd will become a 'perfect' OS then the
systemd owners will change the license to commercial and they will just
use the community code (the US lawyers can reach anything) and they will
have a perfect code and get billions of money.
Maybe I have watched too many films but all steps lead to the same
direction.

Balint