is it the future?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 09:21:12 UTC 2014

On 9 September 2014 08:55, Balint Szigeti <balint.szgt at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all
>
> I've just read this artic.
> http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html
>
> What do you think guyes?
> Does systemd really want to be the 'core-engine' for an OS? It sound
> ridiculous for me.  As I remember their target was (only) replace the init,
> then they did more and more, they pushed the targets over and over, which is
> not bad but just think.
>
> 1) replace init - get a new process/service scheduler/maintaner
> 2) write a new logging system.............journalctl
> 3) hard-code the dhcp and ntp client into systemd... why? just gain the
> control.........
> maybe there were more, I haven't read everything about systemd......
> 4) anything could be, like the article... what next? replace the kernel,
> write an own X and GUI for only systemd?
> and in the future we will have systemd OS for money which was developed by
> community and some people just gain the lead and control. They will displace
> everything else, and convince the HW and SW vendor (proprietary) to ship
> their product to systemd OS then voilĂ , they win.
>
> I have a bad feeling, systemd will become a 'perfect' OS then the systemd
> owners will change the license to commercial and they will just use the
> community code (the US lawyers can reach anything) and they will have a
> perfect code and get billions of money.
> Maybe I have watched too many films but all steps lead to the same
> direction.

There may be many people objecting to aspects of systemd, but all
components are GPL. You may as well rewrite point 4 onwards replacing
'systemd' with 'linux' and see how that paranoia looks then.

I was slightly amused by "This also allows us to implement something
that we like to call Operating-System-As-A-Virus."

Also, seems to rather miss the boat given containers and VMs are
already here, sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk