Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Sep 9 21:41:12 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 01:56 PM, Stephen Morris issued this missive:
> Hi Rick/Patric,
>      Thankyou for your responses. I probably need some more assistance
> on these.
>      I have minidlna installed already but haven't been able to figure
> out how to use it.
>      I have also been told that XBMC to XBMC streaming is not a godd
> idea, how valid is that?
>      Also, like Miracast under Windows, doesn't Linux have to be able to
> see the device before any of the mentioned package can stream to it?
>
> regards,
> Steve
>
> On 09/09/2014 06:43 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I was given a Smart Media Player for fathers day, which I have
>> connected to my TV via HDMI. When I power it on and it establishes its
>> wireless connection to my router, Windows 8 automatically detects it
>> and adds it as a device it can stream to. Under Fedora 20 none of the
>> network interfaces available to Dolphin can see the device. What do I
>> need to do to get the same automatic setup under Fedora as I do under
>> Windows, or if Fedora has detected the wireless device, how do I find
>> out?
>>     Also, under Fedora how do I set up Miracast (which is native to
>> Windows 8) or Airplay streaming to the device once Fedora can actually
>> see and use it?

I've not really used either one of those--I was just suggesting things
that I've seen that address those protocols. Patrick probably can speak
to it far better than I.

I have MediaTomb running on a box at home, but that's a DLNA media
server app and several of my devices don't like it much. Or I don't
understand it very well and haven't invested the time into sorting it
out.