One of my systems stalls at start-up

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Sep 10 08:09:22 UTC 2014

On 09/10/14 15:54, antonio wrote:
> no, but it is agood idea (I have not always available another system, as the affected laptop is travellin a lot. But after ssh-ing what shall I do?? Tnx for your patience

I would do a "ps -eaf | grep X"   to see if /usr/bin/X is running.  If it is, I would try killing it and see if the login screen appears after 15~30 seconds.

Forgot to ask, again, if you are running GNOME/GDM or another desktop/display manager.

Also I would do a "top" to see if any process is hogging the CPU.....but I doubt that is the problem.