Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:31:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 07:15 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
> > Also, I suspect you may be labouring under a misconception: you
> don't
> > stream media to your remote device, the device streams media *from*
> the
> > server (using the DLNA protocol). You don't have to tell the server
> what
> > the device is. It will just stream to any device on the LAN that can
> > find it. I can stream to my phone or tablet without any further
> setup
> > other than installing a suitable app.
> Thanks Patrick. I was assuming Linux was the same as Windows. Under
> Windows having done the necessary steps to ensure that Windows can
> see
> the wireless device, I have to start the app I want to stream from as
> setting up Miracast using the built in interface won't work unless
> the
> app is running (and it only works with the built in video player, it
> doesn't work with mediaplayer), I then have to select the device
> charm
> to tell miracast that I want to project to an external screen only
> (this
> is so the video doesn't play on the pc screen as well), then I have
> select the device charm again and select Play which then prompts for
> which of the devices it can see I want to stream to, and then once I
> select the android smart player the video appears to be then streamed
> the device and appears on the TV using whatever of the multiple
> players
> on the device is its default.

Note that my comments were on using DLNA. Miracast is different (and
pretty much as you describe it) since it's focussed on screen mirroring
which is not the same concept. My TV supports Miracast and I can mirror
my phone or tablet to the big screen, something I haven't attempted to
do in Linux. If that's what you really want to do then ignore what I
said earlier, but you should consider if it is in fact what you want to
do. If you just want to watch videos it may not be.

> Some of my issues may be my modem/router not being good enough for
> streaming as well. When I try to get the device to play a video
> directly
> of my NAS device over wireless the playback stops every thirty
> seconds
> and buffers, but if I put the flash disk that the video came from
> into
> the device and play the video from there it plays fine without any
> buffering.

I have my NAS device and TV connected via Gigabit Ethernet to Gigabit
ports on my router. I would only use Wifi for video streaming if I had
no other option.

poc