is it the future?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Sep 11 23:37:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:33:47 -0500
Dave Ihnat <dihnat at dminet.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 04:30:11PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > There are plenty of complaints that can be *legitimately* leveled
> > against systemd. The correct way to do this ...
>
> With all due respect, this isn't a matter of filing bug reports.

...snip...

> Systemd is one of the stupid ideas.  It flies in the face of
> everything that makes sense in Unix or Linux, and incorporates some
> of the most amazingly bad ideas Microsoft ever promulgated.  A single
> point of failure, an Swiss army knife of totally disparate tasks
> incorporated in a single process just because we can...
>
> I didn't pay attention to this until recently; now that I've dug into
> it a bit more, I'm both horrified and astonished that it's reached
> the level of acceptance it has.  This is an amazingly terrible
> concept, with the unbelievable adjunct that it's been accepted by
> major Linux distros. Unchecked, this could be the stake in the heart
> of Linux.  Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Well, sorry you think so. I think systemd is far from perfect, but it's
a good deal better than what we had before.

I'd say the chances of Fedora switching away from systemd at this point
are pretty much 0, so if you can't learn to live with it and help
improve it, I wish you the best of luck with whatever distro you end up
using.

kevin