is it the future?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Sep 12 14:59:10 UTC 2014

On 09/12/2014 02:37 PM, poma wrote:
> On 12.09.2014 05:57, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 09/12/2014 04:13 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
>>
>>> And I'm not saying that it's all bad -- open source systems go the way
>>> developers want it to go,
>> I'd consider this to be an urban legend, which may have applied in the
>> past. These days open source systems big business and go the way, the
>> companies behind them drive it. This is not limited to systemd but
>> applies many major SW components, too.
>>
>> We users are passengers without any influence on the directions Linux
>> and OSS is taking.
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.

Then let me turn this story around: Where would systemd be if Poettering
wasn't RH-employed and if RH wasn't backing him? Nowhere. It would be an
anecdotal footnote in Linux history, nobody would remember.

Conversely, it's entirely silly and arrogant to tell people to
"implement something else" and better. Unless RH decides to turn down
systemd, this will not happen to come true.

Ralf