is it the future?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Sep 12 16:34:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:07:35 +0000 (UTC)
Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > Then let me turn this story around: Where would systemd be if
> > Poettering wasn't RH-employed and if RH wasn't backing him?
> > Nowhere. It would be an anecdotal footnote in Linux history, nobody
> > would remember.
> >
> > Conversely, it's entirely silly and arrogant to tell people to
> > "implement something else" and better. Unless RH decides to turn
> > down systemd, this will not happen to come true.
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> If a project's prevailing attitude is that it is "entirely silly and
> arrogant" for users to express their opinions, that does not bode
> well for the future of the product.

"the project" has never said any such thing.

to answer Ralf, I think Fedora would still be using systemd if Lennart
wasn't employed by Red Hat. I think the only relevance that has is that
his employment has allowed him to work on systemd.

After all we were using upstart before that, which was developed at
canonical. (And RHEL6 still is).

kevin