case study - journalctl - where is logger output

Balint Szigeti balint.szgt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 15:47:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-09-11 at 16:16 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Balint Szigeti <balint.szgt at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > today I installed the rsyslog and enable it then disabled (then masked)
> > systemd-journal-flush, systemd-journald services. Plus I disabled
> > systemd-journald.socket as well.
> > It broke my system. After I closed the sudo session I could gain root access
> > plus I couldn't start any program only forks for the existed ones (like
> > gnome terminal).
> > The reboot didn't work. The box just didn't start up. :( (just remark -
> > systemd is not depends on itself........)
>
> I disabled all of the journal service and socket units and rebooted
> without a hitch. It was in an X-less VM though so perhaps things go
> awry when booting a DE (I don't see why it whould).
>

> > I booted into runlevel 1 (yeeeah - runlevel doesn't exist on systemd - I
> > wanted to say rescue.target) and redo the mask and enable everything.
>
> I boot into runlevel 1 when I use "1" on the kernel cmdline.
>

> > I've noticed the rsyslog doesn't listen to the system logging.
> >
> > I've run logger command but I don't find it in the log. I've checked the
> > journalctl and /var/log/messages file as well.
> >
> > # logger -t AAAA hello
> > # journalctl |grep hello
> > # grep hello /var/log/messages
> > #
>
> Same here.
>
> Is journald supposed to be turned off when using systemd? Why do you
> want it off? You can set "Storage=volatile" in
> "/etc/systemd/journald.conf" and 1) you'll only have rsyslog logs
> across reboots and 2) the journald logs will be written to the
> "/run/log/journal/" tmpfs so journald will simply collect logs for
> rsyslog.

I've just tried to set the Storage entry in /etc/systemd/journald.conf
to "none" according to manual page and off course no effect.
Also tried to set LogTarget to "syslog" in /etc/systemd/system.conf and
reboot (funny, hurray we become Windows......)but no effect.

Needless to say, the logs are being found in journalctl and messages
file of course. I don't think to raise bug because any time when they
hear someone doesn't want to use their 'solutions' they refuse/ignore or
set the ticket to WONTFIX.
Personally that is my bigger problem.

I finished testing the syslog. I think the only thing that we can do to
accept and shut our mouth :(

Balint